Windows 10 officially launches throughout the world today, with the free upgrade available in 190 countries. The platform is being rolled out in phases, first to insiders, then to big customers, and finally to all other users.
If you’re using Windows 7 or 8.1, beginning today you will receive a notification on your taskbar when your upgrade is ready.
Devices from Lenovo, HP, Dell and Acer pre-loaded with Windows 10 are available worldwide starting today.
Windows 10 seeks to make the user experience more personal and carry seamlessly across all devices.
Microsoft is touting Windows 10 as their “best Windows ever” for 4 main reasons.
- It’s fast and familiar.
- Windows 10 retains the Start menu, taskbar, and desktop you’ve been using, and Live Tiles provide streaming updates of the things that matter most to you.
- Windows 10 is compatible with the hardware you already own.
- OneDrive online storage makes it easy to share and keep your files up to date across all your devices.
- It’s the most secure Windows ever.
- Enhanced Windows Defender and Smart Screen help safeguard against viruses, malware and phishing.
- Windows Hello provides a fast, secured, password-free way to log in.
- It’s more personal and productive.
- You can interact with our PC via Voice, Pen, and Gesture.
- Windows 10 is designed to run Office and Skype perfectly. Along with new Office mobile apps — Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote – the design is geared toward increasing productivity on the go.
- Cortana is your new personal digital assistant, making it easy to quickly find the information you need.
- Snap and Task View allows you to easily switch between apps and stay organized.
- Continuum optimizes your apps and experience across touch and desktop modes.
- It allows you to benefit from the latest tech innovations and devices.
- New Microsoft Edge browser allows you to quickly browse, read, and even mark up and share the Web.
- Integrated Xbox app brings together your friends, games, and accomplishments across Xbox One and Windows 10 devices.
- The Companion Phone app lets you set up your iPhone, Android or Windows phone to work seamlessly with your Windows device.
- Built-in apps including Photos, Maps, Microsoft’s new music app Groove, and Movies & TV, offer entertainment and productivity options.
Check out the Microsoft’s Windows 10 preview here.