Three die at Korle-Bu as doctors continue strike.
Three patients have reportedly died at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in the absence of doctors at the facility.
- Joy News’ Hannah Odame, who was at the hospital, reported that the patients died a few hours after they reported to the Outpatient Department.
- A nurse at post when the three were admitted said they could have been saved if doctors were available to attend to them, Hannah Odame reported.
- Doctors across the country have been striking in protest of Government’s failure to agree to demands they are making concerning their conditions of service. They have threatened to resign en masse if the impasse is not resolved in the next six weeks.
Shell joins GOIL, Total and others in lowering fuel prices.
Shell has joined three other oil marketing companies in further lowering the prices of petroleum products.
- Sluggish US and Chinese economies, a global oil glut, and no sign of oil producers slowing down production contributed to a 20 percent drop in the price of US and Brent Crude in the month of July alone, with prices falling another 4% today, the first trading session of August.
- Over the weekend, Allied Oil reduced its price by almost 4%, while Total reduced its price by 1-2%.
- Shell is now selling a litre of petrol at GH₵3.33 and diesel at GH₵2.92.
- Despite the global freefall in petroleum prices, some analysts still expect that some OMCs will marginally increase their prices.
Moroccan man dies in suitcase while being smuggled to Spain.
A man from Morocco, who hid inside a suitcase to be smuggled into Spain by his brother, died from suffocation.
- The 27-year-old was on board a ferry from Spain’s north African enclave of Melilla to the mainland Spanish city of Almeria, reports the BBC.
- His brother, who carried the suitcase in the boot of his car, has been arrested by Spanish authorities and charged with manslaughter.
- In May, an eight-year-old boy from Ivory Coast was found alive in a suitcase being smuggled into Spain.