Morning News Roundup For Friday, January 29, 2016

died

Pneumococcal Meningitis spreads to ER as boy dies of it.

 A 17-year-old primary six boy died from Pneumococcal Meningitis in the Eastern Region.

  • After complaining of headache and severe neck pains, he was taken to the hospital around 5:27am on January 22 but died a few hours later.
  • The disease, which was first reported in the Brong-Ahafo Region, is fast spreading to other areas.
  • 38 people have so far been died after contracting the disease in five of Ghana’s ten regions.
  • Eastern Regional director of health services, Dr. Boaten Antobreh, said three new suspected cases of meningitis have been reported at facilities in his region.
  • “As at now, we have three suspected cases today [Thursday] from Nkawkaw,” he told Citi News. “The test has not been confirmed yet.”

GITMO

Renegotiate GITMO 2 agreement – Expert Tells Govt

International Relations expert Vladimi Antwi Danso urged Government to renegotiate the terms under which the two ex-detainees of Guantanamo Bay were brought into Ghana.

  • Danso’s comments come after four US senators have demanded that their Appropriations Committee cut aid to Ghana by $10 million each if the GITMO 2 escape or re-engage in terrorism. The senators say Ghana has a poor security record and cannot hold the terror suspects.
  • Danso, who described the move as “coercive diplomacy,” cannot fathom what appeares to be the new posturing of America given that Ghanaians were made to believe the GITMO arrangement was a “mutually respectful kind of relationship.”
  • The move by the US senators highlights the debate that has raged between many in the US congress and state governments with President Obama the last 7 years over his attempts to close the Gitmo terrorism detention facility and transfer or release the prisoners elsewhere. Attempts by Obama to transfer any prisoners to US soil have met with fierce resistance and been unsuccessful.

Gbagbo

Gbagbo denies war crimes charges.

Former President of Ivory Coast Laurent Gbagbo denied the charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity leveled against him at the International Criminal Court (ICC).

  • Gbagbo, whose refusal to step down in 2010 after losing the election plunged Cote d’Ivoire into civil war, denied that he orchestrated a “campaign of violence.”
  • The 70-year-old is being tried at the Hague along with ex-militia leader Charles Ble Goude, 44. He also denies prosecutors’ accusations of murder, rape, attempted murder and persecution.
  • The BBC reported there were people outside the court who complained of “victor justice” because none of President Alassane Ouattara’s supporters have yet been charged by the ICC.
Morning News Roundup For Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Morning News Roundup For Wednesday, November 25, 2015