45-year-old Swiss Gianni Infantino will step into fellow countryman Sepp Blatter’s shoes as the new FIFA president after winning Friday’s election in Zurich.
- Infantino received 115 votes, while his closes rival, Sheikh Saman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa, received 88.
- Prince Ali bin al-Hussein placed third with 4 votes, while Jerome Champagne was fourth with zero votes.
- South African Tokyo Sexwale withdrew from the race before voting began.
- Infantino entered the FIFA presidential race after it became clear European football boss Michel Platini could not stand.
- “I will work tirelessly to bring football back to FIFA and FIFA back to football,” Infantino said after the win.