Manchester United’s fourth place hopes were dealt a blow as they suffered a 1-0 defeat at West Brom Sunday, during which Juan Mata was sent off.
- The 27-year-old Mata received two yellow cards in quick succession in the first half, both involving former United midfielder Daren Fletcher — one for blocking Fletcher’s quick free-kick and one for clipping his heels.
- Referee Mike Dean was quick in producing each card for the offenses.
- But Louis van Gaal said Dean should have considered Mata’s character before sending him off.
- United played 10-men for over an hour in Sunday’s game at The Hawthorns and held out until the 66th minute when their resistance was broken by a Salomon Rondon goal.
- The defeat keeps them three points behind fourth-placed Manchester City in the Premier League.